The Truth About Epilepsy in Canada
Epilepsy is a neurological condition which is characterized by recurring seizures of variable intensity and effect, ranging from short and undetectable to long and violent. Epileptic seizures are generally caused by disturbances in specific regions of the brain that create ‘storms’ of brain activity.
Every day in Canada, approximately 42 people are diagnosed with epilepsy. About 60% of new patients are young children and senior citizens. Some other information about an epilepsy diagnosis:
- 44% are diagnosed before the age of 5.
- 55% before the age of 10.
- 75-85% before age 18.
- 1% of children will have recurrent seizures before age 14.
- 1.3% are over the age of 60.
- 34% of childhood deaths (US) are due to epilepsy or accidents that occur during seizures.
Apollo has seen countless patients who suffer from Epilepsy and we look forward to helping you too!
Just fill out a form to the right and we will get back to you within 24 hours.